Monday 10 August 2015

Poster 1 - Creation Process


Step 1: Firstly, I drew out a very crude version of the image referenced off the original Vermeer artwork. Although I didn't want the final to appear like it had such obvious outlines, using them at this point in the process helped me to lay down the basic solid colors so I had a general idea of where everything was going to go. I also wanted the lighting to be more intense and dramatic in my version to fit the theme and make it even more so haunting (for extra wehi points), so I played with layer modes which add additional hues into all of the coloring later on.


Step 2: The face was the main portion of the homage in common with the original artwork, so I took extra care to try and make the definition and shading resemble that of the original artwork, although my quality of shading and brush work is obviously inferior to Vermeers. :)


Step 3: Basic shading was added to the hoodie and rest of the image, I wanted the coloring to appear as painty as possible which would mean coming back to blend everything using brush tool later on.


Step 4: I created a layer over the top to pick specific colors out of the image and paint in the blending and cover over most of the guide line work to make it look more like an actual painting. I tried to leave some of the shading reminiscent of actual brush strokes. I also added a subtle texture of canvas to the image to further give it that painting feel. At this point in the image I went back and redrew the black eye and nose bleed based off random google images, making them a tad more accurate lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment