Sunday 2 August 2015

Fonts and Type


I looked into various fonts for both of my posters header and body copy. For my poster on domestic abuse I wanted a 'violent' looking font to match the wehi, so I looked into various brush script fonts. Scratchy, cut up and fonts with wild strokes were the goal here. I tried various fonts on the images to find the ones I felt best fit the posters vibes. Despite it's name, I felt 'Surfing Capital' actually fit very nicely as the font looks like amateur reckless brush stroked or pieces of torn up paper. It really gives a tactile, crude and visceral feeling, as though it was a hastily written help note.

For my second poster, I was going for a more scientific, weird and creepy or sickening feeling, adding to a feeling of nausea that you might want to take the pills to cure. For this reason I tried to pick a clean sans serif font, reminiscent of the sterile font you might see on a prescription, or medication bottle. While the differences in alot of sans serif fonts are minute, I decided Univers was ultimately the best font family because of the clean look, it did look similar to the rounded sans serif fonts used on medication labels. The font family is also very large allowing me to cohesively use it for body copy as well as heading, pushing that sterile and clean feeling even further.

I chose sans serif on both posters for the body type because this would make these important captions/stats easy to read for the viewer, and they would go well with whichever font I decided on for the main heading.

I used grids to align the type in the most sensible and effective manner on my posters. One is a bold and scrawling question, as in-your-face as the violence depicted, where as the other is in small 'pill' sized chunks, aligned with the spilled pills on the imagery as if it just fell out of the container.

No comments:

Post a Comment