Thursday 13 August 2015

Grid Considerations

In order to keep the layout feeling well balanced in each of my posters, I employed the use of a grid to get an overall feel of the imagery and where it would be best to place the text. This is an integral part of my design process as it can greatly affect the unity of the image and text, the hierarchy in which your eye is lead around the page etc.

Poster 1:


For my first poster, I utilized a 8 x 10 grid which gave me more options for alignment of text, as I wanted the overall composition to be simple and symmetrical so that it wouldn't take away from the strong imagery. Not surprisingly, being based upon an artwork by a master like Vermeer meant that most of my drawing fell very much into a comfortable section of the grid, which really highlights her face and draws your attention to that part of the image which is very effective, the red of the flag then leads your eye down to the bottom parts of the grid where the red stars and red word 'Flag' draw your attention. At first assessment people will ideally think "are they really talking about a stupid flag over something more important like the violence shown in this image?". I used the baseline grid to space each section of text evenly and create a cohesive feeling that didn't detract from the image.


Poster 2:



For my second poster, much of the imagery falls into the 'sweet spot' of this 5 x 7 grid composition. As the eye is naturally more inclined to move along from the top left-to-right, the angle of spilled pills helps lead the eye down towards the text. Not only is there a vertical axis of alignment, but there is also a diagonal axis at play in this composition. It makes the overall image seem a wee bit more dynamic and brings the composition to life more. I moved the lower pill so that it fell into a lower grid intersection. Lastly I spaced the type evenly using a baseline grid.


No comments:

Post a Comment