Wednesday 5 August 2015

Artist Research - Cindy Sherman

After seeing some of my concepts, Caroline suggested I look into a conceptual portrait artist named Cindy Sherman.

She is known for doing homage photo self-portraits of well known figures like Marilyn Monroe and Madonna and recreating stills from movies, by inserting her self into these scenes/pictures as the actress and using clothes and make-up to help her accomplish these "roles". Her photos are often suppose to look deliberately staged, and she relied on facial expression to convey the mood rather than background or atmosphere. She enacts female cliches and "re-examines women’s roles in history and contemporary society".








In the above examples of her work, she has made the stars / characters she is imitating look unimpressed, used and also vulnerable, rather than like an object of affection or lust like you'd expect in a Madonna or Monroe picture. They ask the viewer to reconsider their ideas about the concept of the female celebrity.


This research really helped me think about the mood I want to convey in my Vermeer based homage poster, I want to make sure I evoke strong wehi with the visuals and mood of the image, even though it will be rather simple. I ultimately am trying to draw it well enough that you can feel pain, sympathy/empathy and even feelings of anger for this intimate moment with this girl being corrupted. A loving portrait spoiled by violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment